Tuesday, May 8, 2007

Final Thoughts on Romano

This text has been an interesting read. I believe that Romano is helping point educators in the right direction. His statements are bold and pointed. I thnk thta many people would be reluctant to join in this line due to fear of change or just realization of the state of the system and the slow process for change.

Romano discusses technology woven into the curriculum as the prime approach. I agree with this because too many times, technology seems to be the add on or the extra piece we have to pile on at the end. Technology is often viewed by some teachers as a threat, but by making a part of the curriculum, the teacher is not feeling pushed out. By using technology to enhance curriculum, teachers will be empowered rather than intimidated.

I agree with Romano that a solid technology plan and goal need to be in place to ensure effective and efficient use and implementation. I would also note that this plan as well as developing a blended technological curriculum will be a lengthy process. I sadly, don’t see any big changes anytime soon. I really think the that true change to the educational system will take place when ALL of the stakeholders get on the same page, no, the same book about what we are doing in education. It is not about dollar signs, it is not about getting a percentage of students to met a standard. It is about doing what is best for kids and if I have a tool that will help me deliver the best product for my students, I will use it completely, even if it is new or unfamiliar.

No comments: